Modern Steader offers a full spectrum of edible education consulting services designed to help you get from concept to classroom with an edible education program that meets your academic standards and longterm vision. We’ll support you for as long as you need it.
The single most effective first step towards edible education is the creation of a long term vision for the program, an accurate scope of the project including all costs, and an actionable plan for making it all happen.
That is exactly what the Roadmap is and it will be invaluable for you in developing support, raising funding, and building out your Edible Learning Lab. Purchase our Roadmap Service in the Shop.
What is a Roadmap?
A Roadmap is a planning document that includes the following:
- Strategic vision for the Lab
- Estimated cost for equipment
- Installation and staff training costs
- Detailed space plan
- Revenue projections
- Recurring cost estimate
- Initial Lab development and expansion timeline
Why do I need a Roadmap?
The Roadmap Development process is designed to accelerate your learning curve and provide you with a detailed document that contains all the facts, figures, and backstory you will need to request internal funding or shape a formal grant request.
Make no mistake, you can certainly tackle this process on your own. We did when we applied for our grant to fund the very first Edible Learning Lab in Wyoming. But do you really have the time it will take to figure everything out on your own?
We can accelerate the process and get you on the right track in just a few short weeks. Purchase our Roadmap Service in the Shop.
How does the Roadmap Development process work?
The Modern Steader Team will guide you through each and every step of the process to develop your Roadmap. We’ll lead a series of calls and web meetings that will shape the strategic plan for your Lab. Here are the primary steps in the process:
- Discovery Call – An initial assessment of internal champions, space, funding, instructors, and green assets.
- Strategy Session – Initial recommendations from the MS Team. Determination of approach: concept lab or full production lab. Drafting of Roadmap framework.
- Champions Presentation – Team meeting to review the draft of the Roadmap and win additional internal champions from key departments. Post presentation follow up call.
- Scope of Project – Development of an initial space plan, revenue potential, and estimated costs including equipment, installation, training, and recurring expenses.
- Program Presentation – Formal presentation of the Roadmap to all stakeholders, including the Scope of Project and estimated timeline.
As you can see the process not only defines the specifics of the Roadmap like costs, equipment selections, and space usage but also includes several group presentations or “touch points” that are instrumental to developing internal buy in from administrators and department heads. Purchase our Roadmap Service in the Shop.
Is there funding available for the Roadmap Service?
Many schools find it most effective to secure a small planning grant to pay for the Roadmap Development Service. There are numerous funding sources for edible education that cover planning grants and we’d be happy to point you in the right direction.
On-site Edible Education Consulting Services – Call for Quote
Our support doesn’t stop after the Roadmap is created. Once you’ve secured funding, we will provide you with essential services that will help you configure and optimize your Edible Learning Lab.
- Equipment and Installation – The Modern Steader Team will source and order all of the equipment needed for your Lab. Once it arrives on site, we will also manage the installation process.
- Initial Lab Training – With your Lab now live and all systems running your staff will need to be trained to effectively manage and maintain it. Our two-day workshop is designed to train your staff on all the systems and processes, as well as the practical skills to effectively utilize the Lab as an educational space.
- 3 Month Lab Primer – The systems in the Lab will continue to be refined and optimized. Our Lab Primer is intended to help you dial in all the processes and present your budding farm to potential customers including restaurants, grocers, and the community.
- Guest Speaking and Workshops – Tim is a seasoned speaker and presenter. He has been evangelizing the Edible Learning Lab since its inception. He often speaks to alumni groups, parent organizations, school boards, and even leads customized student workshops in the Lab. Modern Steader is happy to speak at your school to help with initial buy in and fundraising efforts that support your Lab.
Space Planning Service
Perhaps the biggest challenge for most organizations is defining a shared vision for what their Edible Learning Lab would look like and how it would be laid out to accommodate the equipment and allow the students to move from station to station.
Modern Steader provides space planning support to help you envision the possibilities. These designs might work perfectly for your space and budget or at the very least should provide you with concepts that help you budget for a future Lab.
Click on a Space Plan below to view it in more detail including an equipment list, 3D renderings and package price.
Do you have a space in mind that would be a perfect fit for an Edible Learning Lab? Let’s talk about how you can get the most out of the space.
On-Demand Edible Education Consulting Services
The Modern Steader Team has been in your shoes. We took the Edible Learning Lab from initial concept to fully funded Lab in 2015. We know the process and exactly how to help you on your path. We want to support you in any way possible. All you have to do is ask. We will do our best to accommodate you.
- $75/hr by phone or web meeting
- $150/hr for on-site consultations
- $1200/day plus travel expenses for on-site visits and engagements that require travel
Tim and Dave, the founders of Modern Steader and authors of the Edible Learning Lab Program, possess a unique set of skills. And if it wasn’t for the complimentary nature of their skill sets the Edible Learning Lab may never have been conceived. As a team, they are a fluid collaboration. And they are the ideal team to help you create the perfect Edible Learning Lab for your program.